Friday, September 24, 2010

Artists With No Ego and No Name

Went to see Trilogy last night at the Project Arts Centre. Trite though it may sound, it was inspiring. It was also funny, angering, sad and joyous.

It was about feminism, women and men and history. And I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not going to speak too much about it or describe it other than to recommend it highly. I want everyone to see it.

I'm especially grateful to have seen it because I learned about 1971 Town Hall debate about female liberation. Speakers included Germaine Greer, Norman Mailer and someone who I had never heard of before: Jill Johnston.

The way she spoke was amazing, innovative and shook the whole place up - including Mailer. I googled her as soon as I came home last night. She died on the 18th of this month. The poem she read as her speech was called 'On a Clear Day You Can See Your Mother'. Greer is incredible.

So I'm posting two very interesting and wholly impressive segments here in the hopes that someone else watches it and is moved as much as I have been. Greer is in the first and Johnston in the second, Mailer's aggressive reaction in the fourth. Fascinating stuff.




No comments: